The History of Round Hill — Historic Hudson Valley Wedding Venue

History of Round Hill: Historic Hudson Valley Wedding Venue

Round Hill House dates back to the era of Daniel Brewster (1764–1841) a direct descendant of William Brewster, who came to America on the Mayflower in 1620.

Daniel Brewster built Round Hill between 1800–1820. Daniel had a son Thomas (1787–1856) who married Nancy Seely in 1819. They both lived and died here on the homestead.

Thomas and Nancy had a son, Henry, also born here at the homestead in 1828. There were three children from that son’s union with Harriet Halsey in 1854. All married and remained in the immediate area, one on the board farm, then part of Round Hill. Another married the daughter of Alden Goldsmith who then lived in the beautiful home on Route 208 known as Walnut Grove. Alden Goldsmith was the owner and trainer of the world-renown trotting champion, Goldsmith Maid.

The second son, Walter, who became a supervisor of the town of Blooming Grove, married a minister’s daughter, Elizabeth Hathaway. The Reverend Hathaway was then the pastor of historic Blooming Grove Church. The marriage of Elizabeth and Walter Brewster produced a son, Henry.

Henry was born in this house in 1898. He took Alice Hookey for his bride. They both lived here and had three daughters, Elizabeth, Nancy and Dorothy.

It is interesting to note that all these early Brewster men brought their wives home to Brewster house.

History of Round Hill
Courtesy of a lovely bride who married at The Round Hill Restaurant in April 1977—when Volvo Car USA used Round Hill as a backdrop for an advertisement!

The house was sold in 1923 to Edward Van Horn.
At that time the columns, brick wall and steps were added. The house was later sold to the Maloof family.

The house lay dormant for a while, and became a prominent restaurant in the 1960’s and 1970’s (Round Hill Restaurant, then Quail’s Hollow Restaurant).

In 1998 it was purchased and totally renovated by the present owners, Patrick Ruisi and Peter Kupersmith. They proclaim FEAST to be the “final word in catering” based in an exceptional historic Hudson Valley estate.

  • Daniel Brewster built Round Hill

    1800 – 1820

  • Daniel’s son Thomas marries Nancy Seely

    1819

  • Thomas and Nancy have a son, Henry, born here at the homestead

    1828

  • Henry Brewster and Harriet Halsey get married and have three children

    1854

  • Henry Brewster II and Alice Hookey get married and have three daughters

    1898

  • Round Hill sold to Edward Van Horn. Columns, brick walls and steps added

    1923

  • Round Hill becomes Round Hill Restaurant

    1960s

  • Round Hill becomes Quail’s Hollow Restaurant

    1970s

  • Patrick Ruisi and Peter Kupersmith purchase and renovate Round Hill

    1998

Summary
The History of Round Hill
Article Name
The History of Round Hill
Description
Round Hill House dates back to the era of Daniel Brewster (1764–1841) a direct descendant of William Brewster, who came to America on the Mayflower in 1620.
Author
Publisher Name
FEAST at Round Hill
Publisher Logo